Canada takes gold for women's badminton in Pan American Games
October 20, 2011
The U.S. may be dominating the Pan American Games by a wide margin, but Canada proved themselves superior in badminton. The Canadians just took the gold in women's badminton, their seventh gold medal in the games so far, Canada.com reports. Alexandra Bruce and Michelle Li beat the American team of Iris and Rena Wang 21 to 15 twice in a row to secure the victory.
"I feel really great," Bruce told the news source. "We had a really tough semi. It was really close, but we got through it and were able to recover quickly."
Canadian teams also snagged gold medals for rowing on Wednesday, tying them up for overall medals with Brazil. So far, Canada has seven gold, nine silver and 17 bronze, while Brazil holds 11 gold medals, 10 silver and 12 bronze. Neither team comes close to America's 72 medals (28 gold, 23 silver and 21 bronze).
You Might Also Like...
- Business travel to London might be tough during 2012 Summer Olympics
- Jessica Sanchez could be first Filipino-American to win American Idol
- Chinese considering getting rid of "one child" policy
- Canada's oldest resident passes away at 113
- Walmart Canada's Fill the Kettle Day will benefit The Salvation Army in time for the holidays