Calling Card News Home

Many young adults opt to travel abroad before or during college years

July 22, 2011

Worldwide, teens and you adults are volunteering internationally during gap years. In the U.S., the InterExchange Foundation noticed the growing trend of global community service, and extended its deadline for Christianson Grant applications to give more students a chance to apply. The grant is awarded to students who plan their own international volunteering or work program that will last six months or longer.

Traveling abroad can be expensive, and another way to work while you visit a foreign country is to become an au pair. Many young adults travel internationally to help local parents take care of their children. This affords them a place to live, and a paycheck, which is usually enough to cover expenses. Living with a family in a foreign country can help young adults learn about another culture and the direct, daily contact with native speakers can teach the nuances of a foreign language, which can be hard to learn from books.

Regardless of how you spend your gap year or summer vacation, you should bring along an international calling card so you can check in with your family and friends. Hearing the voices of loved ones can be the best medicine for a case of homesickness.


You Might Also Like...