Spain's Queen Sofia will visit the Philippines in July
June 28, 2012
The Philippines are getting ready to entertain a royal guest - Queen Sofia of Spain will be visiting the Pacific Island nation in early July. The Spanish government loaned money to the Philippine government last year and the Queen will spend four days taking a look at how the funds have been used.
"The Queen is due to arrive in Manila on July 2 to personally inspect various development cooperation projects that are being implemented with funding assistance from the Spanish government through its development cooperation agency, Agencia Espanola de Cooperacion Internacional para el Desarollo or AECID," the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs said in a statement, according to the Manila Bulletin.
After traveling around the world, Queen Sofia will tour the nation to visit various AECID-assisted projects, the National Library, the National Museum and the University of Santo Tomas, the Philippine Star reports. She will also meet with President Benigno Aquino III in Malacanan, which is to precede a banquet in her honor.
You Might Also Like...
- Jessica Sanchez could be first Filipino-American to win American Idol
- Dennis Rodman meets father briefly in the Philippines
- Lady Gaga concert to go on as planned despite protests
- The Philippines hold strong in the first round of the 2011 Homeless World Cup
- Clyde Drexler and NBA dance teams visit the Philippines