Jessica Sanchez could be first Filipino-American to win American Idol
May 23, 2012
Jessica Sanchez, 16, has made it to the top - she is one of the final two contestants on American Idol. Sanchez is the first contestant of Filipino descent to make it so far in the competition, and Filipino-Americans and people across the Philippines are rooting for the teenage singer as the show's finale nears, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Sanchez is currently tied with the other finalist Philip Philips, and the final episode, where a winner will be chosen, airs tonight. If she wins the competition, she will be the youngest contestant to do so, but Sanchez expressed nothing but the humblest of sentiments following the last performance before the finale.
"Of course we all want to win, but it gets to a point where nobody really makes it this far," Sanchez told MTV. "I love that I'm with [Philip] in the top two. It's amazing. He's goofy and he's funny and he is an amazing artist and an amazing person overall."
People in the Philippines cannot vote for contestants, but they can ask their American-based friends to make calls to the Philippines to let them know whether Sanchez steals the show tonight.
You Might Also Like...
- Freedom Ride takes off in the Philippines
- Moderate earthquake causes panic in the Philippines
- Philippine charity groups attempt to break world record for longest line of coins
- Philippines officials look to lift ban on au pair options for certain European destinations
- Shipping company sues Manny Pacquiao's charity group for nonpayment