South Africa celebrates 100 days to the London Olympics
April 18, 2012
There are only 100 days left until the 2012 Summer Olympics begin in London. To commemorate the final countdown, members of Team South Africa (SA) met with the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) to wish luck to athletic hopefuls before they head to qualifying tournament games. The Team SA Ambassadors were also announced. The athletes who made the grade include former Bafana Bafana captain Lucas Radebe, cricket players Makhaya Ntini, Cynthia Tshaka and Springbok Stevens star Cecil Africa.
"The role of the Team SA Ambassador is to inspire and mentor the Team SA athletes competing at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, while encouraging young and old people worldwide to become more active in sport," said SASCOC's chief executive officer.
The SASCOC also unveiled the official Olympic Team SA t-shirt, which will be available for fans and supporters to purchase. Track and field stars as well as the national men's hockey team will head to Japan later this week to take part in the qualifying games.
You Might Also Like...
- African lion population diminishing, study shows
- Local South African people remove horns to protect rhinos
- African women's football teams to go up against veteran teams at London Olympics
- Nelson Mandela's last surviving sibling passes away at 81
- South Africa gets first Olympic gold in men's 100-meter breaststroke