Holocaust Memorial Day marks 67th anniversary of Auschwitz liberation
January 27, 2012
Friday, January 27, marks the 67th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz concentration camp, and is also honored as Holocaust Memorial Day in Germany. The nation commemorated the grave day with a special parliamentary session, according to Deutsche Welle. Political figureheads spoke about the importance of learning from history so as not to repeat the same mistakes, and a Jewish World War II survivor even spoke about his experience.
Marcel Reich-Ranicki, 91, lived in the Warsaw ghetto and was there when the Nazis purged the cramped, overcrowded district.
"I don't know if I can do it, if I am up to the task to talk about the fate of the Jews in the Warsaw ghetto," he told reporters before giving his speech, according to the news source. "A day never goes by without thinking about it."
You Might Also Like...
- German bank employees evacuated from building after white powder found
- German solar power plants take in record amount of energy
- Future cars are creating a stir at the Frankfurt International Motor Show
- German man wins race to top of Empire State Building seven consecutive times
- Easter egg tree attracts attention in East Germany