Brazil makes a splash at Art Basel Miami Beach festival
November 30, 2011
The 10th annual Art Basel Miami Beach festival is currently going in in Florida, and The Associated Press reports that Brazilian artists are the hot ticket this year. The event is one of the most highly-acclaimed art shows in the U.S. and it showcases a growing interest in Latin American artists. There are 26 Latin American galleries at the event, and 16 of them are from Brazil.
"The new mobility that galleries today have abroad, this didn't use to happen 20 years ago," Regina de Almeida, one the founders and directors of the Institute of Contemporary Culture in Sao Paulo, told the AP. "It used to be art just for us."
One Miami gallery owner, Gary Nader, pointed to Brazil's Carnaval to describe the art produced by Brazilian painters, photographers sculptors and more.
"People look at it as a party, but it's an incredibly artistic world," he told the news source.
Art collectors can make calls to Brazil to contact galleries and find out about the latest exhibits and up-and-coming Brazilian artists.
You Might Also Like...
- Students of the Americas ready to compete in super-mileage engineeringÂ competition
- Brazil takes steps to improve international study options for science majors
- IndyCar racer Rubens Barrichello to participate in stock car race in Brazil
- Brazil may use 2014 World Cup as anti-gun platform
- Brazilian president proposes reforms in wake of protests