Manny Pacquiao defeated Juan Manuel Marquez amid controversy
November 14, 2011
The MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas was the site of Manny Pacquiao's victory over Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday night, and many Marquez fans are in an uproar.
Pacquiao was awarded the victory after the 12-round fight, with two of the three judges voting in his favor, according to the New York Daily News. However the pair were closely matched throughout the fight, and many felt that Marquez should have been declared the winner. People can use international phone cards to make calls to the Philippines and talk to their friends about the fight.
"I thought it was close, but I thought Manny edged it out over the last two rounds," his trainer, Freddie Roach, told reporters at a press conference, the news source reports.
This victory marks the 15th straight win for Pacquiao, and there is already talk of a rematch, the New York Post reports. He landed about 14 punched per round, and Marquez averaged about 11. At the end of the match, one judge called the fight a draw, with each boxer scoring 114 points, but the other two judges awarded Pacquiao 115 point, leaving Marquez with 113.
You Might Also Like...
- Filipino transportation secretary retires to spend more time with family
- Allen and Paterson win 2013Â XTERRA Philippines
- Philippine Independence Day celebrations kick off in a few hours
- World's seven billionth member born in the Philippines on Halloween
- Manny Pacquiao defeated Juan Manuel Marquez amid controversy