World's seven billionth member born in the Philippines on Halloween
October 31, 2011
Two minutes before the clock struck midnight on Halloween, Danica May Camacho was born in a hospital in Manila amidst a slew of cheers and camera flashes, according to CBS News. There is nothing extraordinary about the newborn, her family or the birth itself, but the reason baby Danica was welcomed in such a tumultuous way is because the newborn is the seven billionth person on the planet.
Danica's birth represents more than just a number. It serves as a reminder that the world population is increasing and that sustainability of a population this size will need to be given serious thought by officials and experts all around the world.
"We should really focus on the question of whether there will be food, clean water, shelter, education and a decent life for every child," Dr. Eric Tayag of the Philippines' Department of Health told the news source.
The global population hit the six billion mark about 12 years ago, and is expected to grow another billion or so in the next 14 or 15 years, according to projections by the United Nations.
You Might Also Like...
- Shipping company sues Manny Pacquiao's charity group for nonpayment
- The Philippines hold strong in the first round of the 2011 Homeless World Cup
- Guinness World Records proclaim Philippine crocodile largest in the world
- Giant crocodile captured in the Philippines, another still may be on the loose
- Final season of Survivor will take place in the Philippines