A child is hit by a car in the street and 18 people ignore her cries for help
October 19, 2011
A young girl was run over by two separate vans and was lying in the street as 18 different people passed her by without so much as a glance. Finally, one woman had enough compassion to rush to her aide when she noticed the two-year-old in the street, according to ABC News.
"I was picking up trash in the hardware market when I saw a child lying in the road," Chen Xianmei, the 57-year-old heroine who saved the little girl's life, told reporters. "I walked up in a hurry and heard her groan. I wanted to carry her but she was soft and collapsed immediately. I was scared to try again and so I dragged her to the side of the road and shouted for help, but nobody showed up."
Little Wang Yue was finally taken to a hospital where she is in critical condition and can only breathe with the help of a respirator. Doctors are saying that there is a good chance the child will never fully recover.
The entire event was caught on camera, and the video went viral online almost instantly. People who want to find out more about the incident and the little girl's condition can use phone cards to make calls to China to get the latest news from their friends and family.
You Might Also Like...
- Chinese considering getting rid of "one child" policy
- Hong Kong's high court rules that transsexuals can marry
- Chinese education officials canned after speculation of stealing from lunch program
- Chinese put forth new legislation: Adult children have to visit aging parents
- Manned Chinese shuttle successfully docks with orbiting space station