Miss Angola Leila Lopes crowned Miss Universe in Brazil
September 14, 2011
Yesterday, Leila Lopes of Angola was crowned Miss Universe at the 60th annual pageant, which was held in Sao Paulo, Brazil this year. She stood out among 88 other contestants, and her victory marks the first time an Angola woman has won the pageant.
"It was well-deserved, we were cheering for her all along," Sao Paulo native Carolina Rocha told The Associated Press. "Her smile and her friendliness was what set her apart from the others. She also answered her questions very well, that likely helped her a lot."
Miss Ukraine, Olesya Stefanko, was the first runner-up, and Miss Brazil, Priscila Machado, was named the second runner-up, according to the Philippine Entertainment Portal. Miss Philippines and Miss China also made it to the top five, which was announced after the evening gown competition.
People can make calls to Brazil with phone cards to talk to their friends about the pageant and find out if they caught a glimpse of any of the international beauties, or to talk about the candidates and their performances.
You Might Also Like...
- Brazil to auction off oil blocks
- Brazilian president proposes reforms in wake of protests
- Brazilian and Canadian leaders sign new trade agreements to strengthen international business
- FIFA assures fans 2014 World Cup will be a success
- Officials suspect drug traffickers in case of missing Brazilian tribe