First outdoor gym in South Africa sees success in Soweto
April 5, 2012
Residents of Soweto, South Africa, are getting a healthy dose of vitamin D while they work out at the town's new outdoor gym. The AFP reports the Johannesburg city council installed and opened the free gym last month at the Petrus Molefe Eco-Park, and people of all ages have taken advantage of this opportunity to exercise without having to pay expensive gym membership fees.
"Joining a gym has never ever crossed my mind," Chichi Mofokeng, 37, told the news source. "But this place has made things much easier for me because it is close to my house and free. I can simply walk here anytime. Doctors have repeatedly told me to lose weight and get healthy, so this is my chance."
The Star reports the gym's success has prompted the City Parks team to begin scouting for other outdoor gym locations. The equipment, provided by Green Out Door Gym, includes ellipticals, space walkers and many other different exercise tools. The machines are all made of highly durable, weatherproof materials.
You Might Also Like...
- Some South African unions accept government offers, others continue to strike
- Google's online Mandela collection goes live
- Former South Africa assistant coach charged with trying to fix game
- South African football team confident going into World Cup qualifiers
- Many nations will back out of Kyoto in 2012