Two men arrested in hit-and-run toddler tragedy
October 24, 2011
Last week, the Chinese toddler who was hit by two separate vans passed away a week after 18 pedestrians walked by and did nothing to help the two-year-old crying out in pain. Footage of the event from a security camera surfaced and went viral around the globe almost instantly. While 18 people did nothing, thousands of area residents were outraged by their behavior.
The Telegraph reports that about 10,000 residents in Guangzhou mourned her death by holding signs with slogans that denounced the cold-heartedness of the nation. Still others went to the scene of the grievous accident to promote compassion by handing out hugs.
"That one moment of coldness spread across the country and became everyone's wound," a member of the group told the news source. "We would have at least stopped and pulled her aside. We would have asked for help, called the police and protected her."
Two men have been placed under arrest for the crime, but the charges have not been publicly announced, according to The Washington Post.
You Might Also Like...
- Obama recognises international students in State of the Union address
- American Express Global Business Travel offers lots to see and do at summer convention
- Business travel to see boost in 2013
- Electric trikes coming to the Philippines
- Russia loses to Sweden in overtime at world junior hockey championship finals